Kent County Libertarian Party of Delaware

This is a discussion forum for the Kent County Libertarian Party of Delaware.

Register here to take full advantage of these forums.

Send Us Your Quotes

Jess McVay

Send Us Your Quotes

Post by Jess McVay on Sun May 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Will and I are sitting here watching a few videos from candidates for the Libertarian National Committee (LNC) chair. John Jay Myers quoted John Quincy Adams:

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

I invite you to respond to this thread with your favorite quotes that epitomize Libertarian principles.
    Jess McVay

Re: Send Us Your Quotes

Post by Jess McVay on Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Gandhi may not have known he was giving voice to thousands of Libertarians when he said it, but this quotation should give us all strength to stand up for what we believe:
    Gandhi wrote:First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Mon May 24, 2010 11:16 pm

When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat
    Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 am

George Washington wrote:Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

bwangen

George Washington

Post by bwangen on Tue May 25, 2010 9:12 am

"The Constitution is the guide I will not abandon."
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Andrew Jackson speaking against the Central Bank of his day:
    Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin!

You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the Eternal God, I will rout you out... If people only understood the rank injustice of the money and banking system, there would be a revolution by morning."
    Jess McVay

Inconvenient Liberty

Post by Jess McVay on Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. Thomas Jefferson
    Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Thu May 27, 2010 6:16 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:When the people fear their government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Last edited by Will McVay on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty.

Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Aesop wrote:We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm

George Orwell wrote:In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Will McVay

Post by Will McVay on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:52 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:Any government big enough to give you everything, is big enough to take it all away.

Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 am

Thomas Paine wrote:

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:13 pm

“A democracy cannot survive as a permanent form of government. It can last only until its citizens discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority (who vote) will vote for those candidates promising the greatest benefits from the public purse, with the result that a democracy will always collapse from loose fiscal policies...” -- Thomas Babington Macaulay
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 am

Libertarians believe in personal freedoms that are limited only by the rights and freedoms of others. We believe we should be free to do as we choose as long as our freedoms do not infringe on the rights of others. Our personal freedoms must be restrained by personal responsibility. These tenets are alternative expressions of the ethic of reciprocity, or The Golden Rule. The Golden Rule takes many forms. For an interesting review of some of various iterations, see the Wikipedia article, here.

This is one of my favorite forms of this philosophy by the ancient Hebrew scholar Hillel.

That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.
    Jess McVay

Madison's View of Health Care "Reform"

Post by Jess McVay on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 pm

In Federalist Paper #62 James Madison zeros in on this point:

It will be of little avail to the people, that
    the laws are made by men of their own choice,
    if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before
    they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes, that no man who knows what the law is today, can guess what it will be tomorrow. Law is defined to be a rule of action; but how can that be a rule, which is little known or less fixed.
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 am

At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it? Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years. At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.
    Abraham Lincoln-- January 27, 1838 - Address Before the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 am

An independent is someone who wants to take the politics out of politics. Adlai Stevenson

I'm not sure he thought that was a good thing or a bad thing. I think it's a good thing.
    Jess McVay

Post by Jess McVay on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:24 pm

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gun control is not about guns. It is about control.

Guns have only two enemies. Rust and politicians

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
    No guns. No peace. No safety.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:19 am